Hi there! Welcome to my GIRLY SPAZMS. I am most productive when I'm about to lose it. Easily distracted and daydreaming, I fight my way through the day just so I have moments like these. Please visit often as I am updating and adding new things when time allows . Feel free to drop me a line. Say hi, leave comments, suggestions, feedback & your experiences . Thanks for visiting my crafty blog & be sure to check out my etsy shop too.

2/15/13

Knock you crazy?.. brownies... You bet!


So for namesake and because my son gave out these amazing brownies for valentine's day, we're gonna call these "knock you crazy" brownies, but this recipe is the same "knock you naked" brownies you can find all over the net just adjusted for a larger pan...

These brownies are truly easy to make. I was introduced to them by our great friend linda, and although when I first read the recipe the word "double boiler" just scared the be-jebeeze out of me.  Linda was right there saying "it's easy. you can do it." 

So I did it! 

The recipe below will be enough for a 10" X 13" pan. 

You will need: 

10 by 13 pan (greased up with some butter) 

wax paper (you can use clear wrap too but I would double layer it)

2 sticks of unsalted butter

1 can of evaporated milk

1-2 bags of caramel squares unwrapped, 
                      if you want to use caramel bits I'd recommend 3-4 bags. 

1 bag (about 8 oz.) of pecan chopped or bits

1 bag of semisweet chocolate chips

First step is to make the bottom layer of brownies.
Turn on oven to 350 F. 

I like putting all the wet ingredients first. I'm sure there is a formal baking rule somewhere, but this is how I do it.. 

  • Melt one stick of butter in microwave for 30 seconds. 
  • Place melted butter with 1/3 evaporated milk & 1/2 bag of pecans
  • Mix in one box of german chocolate cake mix.
This mix will be very thick. It's okay. Dump it all into the greased pan and pat it down evenly. 

Throw in oven for about 9 minutes. 

While this is baking, assuming you've got all your caramels unwrapped already.

Start your double boiler.

Promise someone at home brownies if they do this for you. 
Here is my set up
 Now here is the intimidating part for those of you who don't do this sort of thing regularly..  Put enough water in the pan where the inside pan is not bobbing around. 
Start the water on high... Then as soon as you here the "knocking" that means your water is boiling, and you should turn down the heat. Turn it down to  medium or even low. Be patient and it will all eventually melt. 


Start
use 1 cup of milk with your caramels
About 10 minutes in.
Stir it periodically.





















Somewhere in between the caramels melting, your bottom layer of brownies should have beeped...  Take it out and let it cool on the stove while you finish the caramels. 
Perfectly melted caramels without getting burned. 
This is what your brownies should look like.. puffy and odd.. uncooked! 




Now you're going to take your caramel and pour it right on top of this...



Then pour a package of your semi-sweet chocolate chips on top... 




Now you can let this stand while you repeat and make another batch of brownies. Repeat step 1 w/ the stick of melted butter, evaporated milk (use the what's left in the can), remaining half bag of the pecans, and cake mix...

After you have your clump of brownie dough, you're going to lay a sheet of wax paper( or clear wrap) down on a flat surface. 

wax paper... 

shape brownie dough roughly the same size as your pan.. 


Then you're going to flip this piece onto your chocolate chips & caramel.

It's easier if you have someone help you flip it on, but not absolutely necessary.


Caramel all sandwiched in!




Now bake! I bake it at 350 degrees F for about 29 minutes.

When done, bring out let cool, cut and serve with sprinkled sugar on top.

Yum!
Chocolate, Caramel, Pecans... How can you go wrong?


Let me know if you have any questions, as this is my first baking tutorial.
Thanks for stopping by! 

shen


Tip: You can warm these up in the microwave for a few seconds for more ooze!

1 comment:

  1. uuuh... YUM! these look delish! Oh my this was helpful I never knew what double broiler was! Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!