Hi there! Welcome to my GIRLY SPAZMS. I am most productive when I'm about to lose it. Easily distracted and daydreaming, I fight my way through the day just so I have moments like these. Please visit often as I am updating and adding new things when time allows . Feel free to drop me a line. Say hi, leave comments, suggestions, feedback & your experiences . Thanks for visiting my crafty blog & be sure to check out my etsy shop too.

8/13/12

you can't catch me...

Sharing another part of my life.....

So aside from my sedentary life of crafting, gluing, pasting and sewing, I’ve also picked up another new “like”…. not love yet… definitely not love… (more like a like- hate relationship)Running…Yes, running… That’s what I’ve been working on for the two months. I’ve never been a runner. Sure, I can be on an elliptical for a couple hours with no problem. I can run on the sand, barefoot at the beach effortlessly. Thanks to my calves…But man oh man… I have horribly flat feet. No arches at all. So flat that I am embarrassed when I leave my footprints on the ground by the swimming pool, or in the sand. I hated running. Even in my more active younger days as a volleyball player, and we were having practice, the running portion sucked. So when I started running recently, it was hard. My ankles were hurting, and now my knee hurts, but I’m keeping at it. I run in intervals. I need to slow down and catch my breath. I run with Ginger, and she hates me after. But when all is said & done, and I’ve finally caught my breath & have managed to not pass out, it does feel good. 
Getting accustomed to the treadmill was the hardest part, and I think I’ve gotten that part down now. I still think I stomp relatively loud, but eh… I turn on my music on louder, and I hope that I’m not irritating anyone else at the gym around me.
I bought Sketchers Go Run shoes that claim to be close to running barefoot. Those weird frog looking ones just weren’t as appealing to me. I like my shoes. They’re comfy on my Fred Flintstone feet. They are light, and if I really wanted to I could wear them with no socks. The only regret that I have is that I should have gotten the bright orange ones instead of the less flashy navy blue with lime green accents. Still…. I like them. Whether or not they have encouraged me to run and keep on running, I can’t determine. Why this push to run? Well, the hubby & I, along with a couple of other friends, have signed up for the local “Color Me Rad” 5K run this September, so being able to run (even a portion of it) would make me feel good. 
 I asked the sales lady at GNC if it was normal to feel like you were dying after you slow down from a run. She told me yes, and proceeded to tell me that she could never run. That she sees people all the time and wishes she could, but can’t. So it made me feel better to know I can actually do it. I just have to keep at it. So even though I have to argue with myself to push the button to a higher speed on the treadmill I’m surprising myself every day as I reach personal goals that I have set. As I said before… I like running… LIKE….

I'm not one to mention my weight loss & weight gain, but I'm pretty happy with the side effects of running as well..
Now that I've gotten a lot more comfortable though... Why does the treadmill shut off when I run at 7.5mph? It's getting a little frustrating, but maybe it's saving me from the embarrassment of falling off. 

And with that said, here's a video of one of my favorite songs... 
excuse the quality.. it's bad... 



Just a quick update...
We did it! Our first 5k before and after pics at Color Me Rad San Jose 2012...


It was so much fun! I feel so accomplished... Now on to the next one. The Firefly run September 22. 


shen


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!